Drunken chicken, or beer can chicken as many like to call it. If you want moist on the inside, crispy skin chicken this one is for you.
1 whole chicken
1 can of favorite beer
Favorite chicken rub
- Pre heat grill. For this you want an indirect heat set up , temp at around 350°F-375°F.
For gas grills keep a couple burners off to one side. For charcoal set the coals to one side and leaving the other open.
- Generously rub down chicken with your favorite poultry rub. You could also inject if you wanted to. I like to pull the skin away from the breast and also rub the breast down with the rub also.
- Open beer can, you can poke extra holes in the top. I like to push the whole top open.
- Next place the chicken over the can and place it on the indirect heat side of the grill using the legs as extra support, like a tripod.
- Grill chicken for approximately 1 ½” hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. (165°F internal temp.)
- Once the ideal temperature is reached, remove from grill, remove the can and serve!
Additional Tips and Tricks
- For extra crispy skin, rub the bird down with olive oil or avocado oil.
- For extra flavor try drinking or discarding a portion of the beer and replacing with a marinade or seasonings to add a different flavor.
- This also goes great on the smoker but remember to adjust cook time accordingly.